A Curious Girl

The musings of a girl who is curious in both senses of the word. Life, God, and York. Oh, did I say York? I meant Bradford!

Monday, January 23, 2006

Some observations

Pandora, everyone's favourite new music site, rocks. I signed up for free membership, typed in "Brown Eyed Girl" and was given a lot of awesome music :D I've taken to carrying my headphones with me wherever I go. If this carries on, my narrow music awareness* might expand a bit.

I browsed a lot of bookshops today. I noticed

1. Such is the strength of Anne Rice's claim to fame as a horror writer, her book "Christ the Lord" is in the horror section of Waterstones. Either that, or "Christ the Lord" is actually horror, which is a very disturbing idea.

2. There's actually a cartoon version of Titanic. It got a "universal" rating because lots of people dying is very suitable for small children.

3. Artistic plagiarism of the Da Vinci Code cover gets very dull. And why are so many scholars of Christianity obsessed with Mary Magdalene?

4. Best critic's comment of the day, on The Messiah Code - "The quest for the Holy Grail meets Raiders of the Lost Ark". Yes, that would be "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade". *rolls eyes* (Apparently the whole quote added Jurassic Park)

5. What is it with Mary Hooper and her "worthy" storylines? After two books on teenage pregnancy (megan, and megan2) and one on parental adultery (holly), I was not at all surprised to discover that she's also written a book - "amy" - on the dangers of meeting people on the internet.

6. Why do capuccinos taste better at Starbucks (yes, I am evil) but lattes taste better at Costa (you can actually get Fair trade, and if you have good eyesight you can even read the sign telling you that you can ask for it)?

7. In case you were wondering how coffee links with bookshops, York bookshops are almost as good as Cambridge for having coffee shops inside.

8. The Worst Witch Saves the Day isn't nearly as good as The Worst Witch all at sea. Jill Murphy's obviously forgotten that the people who enjoyed The Worst Witch all at sea are ten years older now. Or perhaps she's realised that the people who enjoyed The Worst Witch all at sea are now reading Harry Potter. (Poor her, I really feel she must have been a major influence for J.K. Rowling, and it must be extremely annoying that JKR stole her idea then did it better. I hate it when that happens.)

9. I'm Alice! (Beauty Queen?) is funny but not as funny as I'm Alice! (I think) partly because Alice's obsession with her own virginity is a bit irritating. But I admit, the bit where she gets a WWJD bracelet is very funny.

10. Why is it I have £30 of Waterstone's vouchers and haven't bought anything at Waterstone's yet? (I read The Worst Witch Saves the Day in about 20 minutes, and bought I'm Alice! (Beauty Queen?) half price at Borders)

There's actually a doughnut stall in York called "Kinky Donuts". I should have got a photo but I decided to go to a bookshop first.

I went to another Quaker meeting today. I thought the silence might help me pray but I ended up thinking about books. I spoke to a science teacher, who informed me that kids are scum. I told him he reminded me of my old biology teacher, who once said he could be a hitman, and he'd have a niche market because he's perfectly willing to kill children.

Ooh, apparently I like Coldplay. Who knew?

I spent my walk back from town thinking about The Secret Garden and A Little Princess (both by Frances Hodgson Burnett). I love them both and they were favourites of mine when I was a child. I was for some reason attempting to justify the Mary/Dickon 'ship. ('Ship is a fan term for relationship. Harry Potter fans have been known to divide into Harry/Hermione shippers and Ron/Hermione shippers. On this, I blame the fact that I was battling between Mary/Colin and Mary/Dickon) It's not just that Mary and Colin are cousins - Victorians weren't above a little incest, see Charles Darwin for an example (he married his cousin. They shared a grandfather. Weird!) It's just that Mary's always been a gardener, and she loves Dickon, so there.

And then in a fit of eccentricity I decided that Colin could have Sara Crewe (from A Little Princess if he wanted. They're both obsessed with Magic (which in a C.S. Lewis-ish sort of way, turns out to be God). Besides, Sara wouldn't marry a commoner, would she?**

No, the trouble is, I can see Sara spending her adulthood with a husband. She'd probably start an orphanage or something.

This was a random entry... but I thought you'd enjoy something other than angst :)

*I say "narrow", but perhaps "shallow" would be a better term. I am smarter than the average bear when it comes to classical music, Christian rock, hymns, modern worship music, 70s rock anthems, Don McLean and Simon and Garfunkel. However, I have a sketchy at best grip of what's in the charts at the moment, and am really a bear of very little brain compared to most aficionadoes of classical music, Christian rock, hymns, modern worship music, 70s rock anthems and any other sort of music really.

**OK, I'm betraying the one sore spot I have with A Little Princess. Why is Sara tragic because she loses her father and her riches, but Becky not tragic because she always was poor and never had parents? (Well, I presume she did originally, but you know...) Why is it good that Sara gets a beautiful room and just as good that Becky gets an extra mattress and the chance to borrow Sara's things? Despite Sara's continued insistence that they are just the same - "just two little girls" I get the impression Burnett was being a bit precious because Sara gets the better deal all the time, and at the end Sara is adopted and Becky is employed. The rich man in his castle, The poor man at the gate, He made them, high and lowly, And ordered their estate. That might have been how the world was then, but I can't help but wish that Becky had found some kind of parent at the end too. She's just a little girl too, isn't she?

Labels:

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home