A Curious Girl

The musings of a girl who is curious in both senses of the word. Life, God, and York. Oh, did I say York? I meant Bradford!

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Addicted to blog

Last night Christian Focus had a communion/prayer meeting, and at one point during prayer I suddenly thought, I spend longer blogging than I do praying.

Um.

I tried hastily to retract the thought, 'cause, you know, blogging's a bit like prayer. You're honest about your life, and sometimes you get an answer, and usually not the one you expected... Besides, blogging is my therapy. I'd go mad without blogging! Blogging is my baby, I can't abandon my baby!

Ahem.

Lent is so evil. If it wasn't Lent tomorrow, I could quite happily have, say, a fortnight's blogfast, without too much trouble. But no, it's Lent. Grr.

I've already signed up to take part in a Lent blog, with a group of people all reflecting on Lent/God etc. So I've decided to give this blog a rest (although technically Lent doesn't include Sundays, so may see you then ;) ), and not post endless stuff about what I'm having for tea tonight or how hooded teachers being stopped by security guards demonstrates equality, or whatever, and actually try taking part in a community for once.

So essentially I'm going to be giving my general blogging a rest and from now on, I'm blogging for the Lord! Or something. But yeah, see me at the Lent blog for the next 40 days (minus Sundays). If you want to sign up too I'm sure there's still time :) My posts will be the ones labelled "Posted by Helen Louise".

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 5:19 pm , Blogger Dr Moose said...

    Good call.

    I had a similar experience a few weeks back when my Tai Chi teacher (or "Chinese Dance" as GLW calls it) asked me how long I prayed each week.

    Whatever way I looked at it (does saying the psalms and canticles in the Daily Office count as prayer, for example?) the answer was still "not enough", and even quite possibly "less than the hour a week I spend on Tai Chi".

    People allegedly think of the cleric as a person of prayer, and I can't argue that I'm in such high demand that it obstructs that prayer. In fact my biggest threat to prayer, especially at Evening Prayer is just that of falling asleep! (And if I call it "meditating in the presence of the Lord" does it count as prayer?)

    :)

    Lent is a time for healthy self-examination. As long as you and I make sure we don't forget that every moment is spent, consciously or not, in the presence of God. (Which rather widens the issue of what "prayer" actually is...)

     
  • At 8:18 pm , Blogger BruceD said...

    Maybe your blog IS your prayer?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home