A Curious Girl

The musings of a girl who is curious in both senses of the word. Life, God, and York. Oh, did I say York? I meant Bradford!

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Blogging, why?

My Grandma asked me, a while ago, "Do you still write in your online diary?"
"Yes"
"Why?" she asked incredulously.

Curious question (aren't all questions? Or perhaps not the rhetorical ones?).

So I thought about it. It's interesting that I keep an online diary when keeping paper diaries was always beyond me... Actually I do keep notebooks, but it sounds pretentious to call a book of doodles a "diary" or even a "journal", so...

I blog because I can say anything I like in a blog. Granted, I do have to deal with the fact that my parents, my friends and complete strangers read it, and of course the always present danger that someone I know might find it via a Google search, but thankfully I can't think of anyone that I really wouldn't like to read it. And it does mean I can have a place to put any opinion I feel the need to express, or say things that are too hard to say out loud.

I blog because it's nice having a place on the internet that's mine, where I can offer the online equivalent of a cup of tea and a chat, where other bloggers can find me. Seems rude to read about other people but offer nothing back.

I blog because I am a writer, and though I love to write stories and things, it's nice to have a place for first drafts, streams of consciousness, general thoughts, and get to warm up my writer muscles without having to tax my brain too much.

I blog because it's good to get feedback. It's always nice to know that someone read something I wrote and found it interesting enough to comment.

I blog because it's fun. I love to blog. I blog, therefore I am.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 8:33 pm , Blogger Dr Moose said...

    I suppose I blog because it is easier than keeping the journal I used to, it is more accessible to other people, because it is therapeutic, because (in my vanity) I think there may just occasionally be things that others find useful. Oh, and because there is a potential community in it - I have actually met some, even most of those who I know read my blog!

    (Which reminds me: it's nice to have a phot of the blog owner. At least, I'm presuming it's you and not a "stunt double" (not that I'd ever know unless you popped into MLPK in passing!)

    I worry about keeping the blog because of the amount of time it can swallow and the ephmeral nature of it. You may call it vanity, but I wish I actually had a hardcopy of the all the bloggin I have done (not an insurmountable issue, true.)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home