A Curious Girl

The musings of a girl who is curious in both senses of the word. Life, God, and York. Oh, did I say York? I meant Bradford!

Friday, February 03, 2006

On dreams and climate change

I've been sleeping late a lot recently. I'm not sure why, I keep setting my alarm, but eventually I wake up, usually after some peculiar dream. As dreams usually bore anyone who didn't dream them, I'll attempt to keep them short and to the point.

1) I was on a train. Richard E. Grant gave me a greetings card with the gift of a first class train ticket in it. He wrote in the card that he wanted a co-star and I should be it. I just ignored him.

2) It was like Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, but on acid.

3) I went back in time to the middle ages and met a mad priest whom everyone was trying to kill, possibly because he'd mortally offended someone.

4) I was cycling home, took a wrong turn at the Barbican (in York) and found myself in a little hilly village on the West coast. Some old ladies invited me in and I washed up their mugs as they sang a parody to Molly Malone. I tried to find a map and realised I was miles away from York and it would take me hours to get home.

The last one was weird because I actually can't ride a bike. I never got around to learning. I spent most of the dream trying to remember if you're supposed to use bicycle gears like car gears.

I'm also quite fond of Richard E. Grant (although alas, he now reminds me of my weird landlord in Cambridge) and definitely wouldn't ignore him if we met on a train.

It seems to have turned really cold recently, which is annoying as I'd just decided to turn down the radiator in my room as my contribution to fighting climate change. I do find the climate change thing concerning actually, although not in a "Save the planet" sense, more a "Save me!" sense. It's terribly frustrating knowing that we live in an extremely consumerist culture - apparently every day in the UK, we throw away enough rubbish to fill up the Albert Hall. I'm sure John Lennon could come up with something witty about that. This seems to be the kind of country where we just expect to get whatever we want, then we get it and don't care about the damage it might be doing. I suspect that the problem is we see cost in terms of money, and if we're willing to pay then we have the right to have it. We are willing to pay for the gas for a nice warm house, therefore we deserve a nice warm house. When was the last time you saw the planet paying to keep its cold bits cold and its warm bits warm? If we can warm up Alaska and cool down the Sahara, then that's our right! Hah!

The trouble is probably something to do with glass houses and throwing stones, or something idiomatic like that. I would theorise that places with less pollution are often like that because they can't afford to pollute. It's all well and good to be running a farm on biofuel, but if you had the money for a less smelly alternative, you could stop shovelling that dung immediately. We feel that if we have earned our great wealth, then we have the right to do whatever we like with it, only the problem tends to come back to haunt us later, like when we discover that despite our cities being the pinnacle of civilisation, the air isn't breathable.

I don't know. Perhaps we should plant some trees, recycle our rubbish, grow our own veg and keep our own animals. For meat, that is (Not sure I could do that though. I love chicken but I doubt I'd kill one that I'd just nurtured so that I could eat it). We could live something like the Good Life, only we couldn't watch the Good Life because televisions contribute to global warming.

Perhaps not. But we do live in what was, originally at least, a beautiful world (cue Louis Armstrong!), and perhaps we had better look after it. True, it's a hostile place - bits are really cold, other bits are hot, there are disasters and organisms that will kill you, and that's before we've got on to other people - but respect is due. In the words of um... Albert Einstein, I think, will look it up when I have more time... "The world owes you nothing, it was here first." And really, I think we know which animal we most want to save from the impending climatic disaster.

Save the humans!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home