A Curious Girl

The musings of a girl who is curious in both senses of the word. Life, God, and York. Oh, did I say York? I meant Bradford!

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

I sent them an e-mail.

They sent me an application form.

I sent them a letter.

They called.

I went for an interview.

They gave me a CRB form.

I waited.

I got bored.

I called. Have I got this job or not?

They said, of course you have the job, duh, now return your CRB form and come in Wednesday.

I'm no longer unemployed!

***

Brilliant conversation with the Job Centre this morning. I'd called yesterday to say that I couldn't come to sign for my job seeker's allowance (which I will very shortly become ineligible for) on Tuesday, ie. today. So they told me to call up this morning and re-arrange.
"Hello, I was supposed to sign for my JSA this morning. I can't because I have a workshop."
"Have you rearranged?"
Er, no, that's why I'm calling.
"No, I would like to rearrange now."
"All right, hold on..." She returns in a couple of minutes.
"Would you prefer morning or afternoon?" she says.
Wouldn't you like to pick a day first, I think.
"Afternoon, I suppose," I say.
"How about 4pm?" 4pm when??
"You mean today?" I ask, scratching my head.
"Yes, today," she says, as if talking to a five year old.
"I can't make today," I remind her.
"You can't make today?"
"No, I can't make today and that's why I'm phoning. I was supposed to come in today but I can't make it, that's why I have to rearrange!"

She explained very slowly to me, as if I was somewhat stupid, that you have to call on the day you want to rearrange your interview for. Erm, wouldn't you like to know I'm not turning up? Wouldn't I like to know when I can next sponge off the government? Surely since I've been advanced booked for Tuesday mornings they can advance book me for Thursday afternoon? I really ought to look through my unemployment bumf and see if there's a way of signing off by post!

7 Comments:

  • At 10:13 pm , Blogger Dave K said...

    Great news!

     
  • At 9:18 am , Blogger Jules said...

    Hey - glad you got the job!

     
  • At 5:10 pm , Blogger Contemplative Activist said...

    Congrats!

    CA

     
  • At 8:53 pm , Blogger BruceD said...

    Super duper! Keep us posted on how it's going, ok?

     
  • At 6:16 pm , Blogger Rob said...

    good news - well done!

     
  • At 4:58 pm , Blogger Mike Morrell said...

    Hi sister,

    Keep blogging! I'm adding you to zoecarnate.com today.

     
  • At 10:35 am , Blogger Dr Moose said...

    Somehow missed this (the feed didn't pick it up) - congratulations!

    As as regards the whole benefits issue, it's a long time since I worked for what was the DSS, but even then the system was rigged, erm... sorry,... organised to make sure you were never told anything useful, and instead had to ask the right questions... So the whole issue of not knowing even what day you were meant to be talking about doesn't surprise me one little bit!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home