A Curious Girl

The musings of a girl who is curious in both senses of the word. Life, God, and York. Oh, did I say York? I meant Bradford!

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Puzzled over Gospel reading

Happy Eastertide, Spring is here, Christ is risen, and I'm updating my blog.

Have been getting increasingly mad with my employers. Also why do I get so little sick pay? I got more for job seeker's allowance! where's the logic in that?

I meant to go to a Good Friday service (I alas did not have time for an Easter Sunday service) but didn't. This might well be because the last couple of years I have gone to rather disappointing Good Friday services. The worst was when the congregation sang "There is a Green Hill Far Away" in a jolly staccato. Argh.

I am puzzled and a bit confused by the Gospels. I reread the Sermon on the Mount recently and though I love the Beatitudes I am a little confused by these verses:

"It has been said, 'Anyone who divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce.' But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, causes her to become an adulteress, and anyone who marries the divorced woman commits adultery." - Matthew 5:31-32

I'm just not sure I understand the logic. He seems to be addressing men, saying that if they divorce their wives they become adulteresses. Does that matter to them? They've divorced their wives already, for anything from marital unfaithfulness to burning the dinner. What's the point in stigmatising the woman, who, this being centuries before women's lib, will probably want to get married again? I'd just feel a lot happier if he'd said "anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, commits adultery himself, and anyone who marries the divorced man commits adultery." Because if a man chooses to divorce his wife, why should she be the one who is punished?

Also, what is Judas's motivation anyway?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home