A Curious Girl

The musings of a girl who is curious in both senses of the word. Life, God, and York. Oh, did I say York? I meant Bradford!

Thursday, October 25, 2007

One of those "what I've been doing lately" posts

Back again... not entirely sure if anyone... bar perhaps Graham... is reading this, but hey :)
I have discovered the wonder that is regular employment, working with adults with learning disabilities. It's good, and oddly for care/support work, has fixed hours, weekdays. Nice. I've been there just over a week now (seems like longer for some reason, but in a good way!) and I'm starting to feel like I'm an actual useful member of the team. I know most of the service users' names and I'm even getting used to their little quirks. It beats being a dinner lady any day of the week.

I've also made a couple of new friends, which is cool, especially since I was slightly worried that I'd end up depending solely on my dear housemates for company. One is Mark, who's my co-worker and works for the same agency as me (most of them work directly for the NHS)... we talk about folk music and books and anarchism and the Clangers, and vegetarianism (he's a veggie, I'm not, although I may have gotten him into my housemates' habit of referring to meat as "death"). And then at church (well, the service in the Bradford uni chapel, anyway), I met a girl called Sally who very cleverly invited herself over for lunch. I was going to invite her, really, but the house is usually such a mess that I was embarrassed, but she worked out that I lived nearby and asked if I wanted to have lunch together with her, and then I said, "Of course... but the mess..." and then we walked back and Sophia had already started cooking. So I did the washing up, we cleared the table, and passed an interesting and pleasant afternoon together. We had tea after lunch (cups of, I mean) and since we were out of milk I walked to the garage. I got outside to discover that Graham had been chatting to another guy outside for the last hour. Poor him, he'd missed lunch too!

I like Bradford. Next week I'm in a Scratch show, in the "male" chorus (girls singing tenor)... It's not quite York G&S but I'm sure I'll love it just as much with time. I still haven't - to my shame - applied for the social work course. I don't really know why I'm procrastinating, except probably that it's such a bit step and going back to uni is quite a scary prospect... also my job keeps giving me new ideas for things to do, everything from nursing to speech and language therapy. Why does everything have to be so interesting? :) So yeah, I feel happy to be here, even though it would be quite nice to drag all my York friends here too :)

Also, did I mention I've taken up knitting? It is disturbingly relaxing, and productive as well.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • At 12:26 am , Blogger Mark W said...

    Hi Helen
    Just to let you know that Graham isn't the only person reading your blog! I suppose I'm not expecting too many revelations as I see you most days anyway, however it does allow you somewhere to extrapolate on inner thoughts that would be difficult to squeeze into everyday conversation, for whatever reason, so as long as you keep writing, I'll keep reading. Keep thought free!

     
  • At 3:04 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    'Female Quaker' drops in irregularly...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home